How do I use CALIPSO/MISR data in VAPOR

Hi! I’m trying to make a 3d viz of smoke/haze in Southeast Asia. I’ve downloaded data CALIPSO/MISR data from NASA, but it’s in a netCDF/hdf format. Has anyone done this before (like use CALIPSO/MISR data and visualised it in VAPOR) or anyone has any advice on how to go about doing this? Appreciate any advice, thank you!

Hi, Vapor should be able to read it if the NetCDF data is CF-Compliant. If it’s not, you can find out how to modify it here. If you still have trouble, let us know and we can help you out.

Hey Charlene, I’m going to copy my email onto this thread for reference purposes:

Being satellites, CALIPSO and Terra/MISR only collect 2D data, which will not give the smoke plumes seen in the East Troublesome or nytimes visualizations. The MISR data is in fact CF compliant, but it’s not structured in a way that Vapor can read it. An alternative would be to collect imagery from NASA’s EOSDIS WorldView server, which allows you to download GeoTiff imagery (via the camera icon on the top-right of the map) that can be read by Vapor. Here’s a link that shows the Aerosol Optical Depth variable from Terra/MISR for today. However this will not contain the 3D smoke plumes that I believe you’re seeking.

For the smoke plumes, you will need a computer simulation or potentially radar observational data. Vapor does not currently support radar, but other visualizations like Paraview or Visit might.

Regarding your question on Vapor’s file export formats, it can only generate still images that can be encoded into video formats. Nothing that can be exported into Blender unfortunately.

I hope that’s somewhat helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need help with anything else.