How to create "flowing arrow" in Barb Renderer

Hello,
I am new here! I am using VAPOR to do visualization of 3D wind field based on terrain.
There are some variables in calmet.nc:U(zonal wind)、V(meridional wind)、W(Vertical wind)、ELEV(terrain).I set U、V、W to X、Y、Z field in Barb Renderer, respectively, and ELEV in TwoDData Renderer. The result is shown in calmet.gif.
I want not “fixed point arrow” but “flowing arrow” in Barb Renderer, just like the example on youtube(Simulation of the Marshall Wildfire - YouTube), can someone tell me how to do that?

calmet

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

I think you’re referring to something like what’s shown in this time series in the marshall video. Those barbs are actually stationary, like the ones in your example. Two differences are 1) there are many more barbs in the marshall video, and 2) the colormap has been adjusted to highlight high winds which are shown in white.

I think you can achieve the same effect by increasing the number of barbs (I think I maxed them out to 50 for marshall) and also tune your colormap so the highest wind speed values pop out against the lower ones. Let me know if any of that doesn’t make sense.

Hi, pearse, thank you for your help!
I think the effect is related to 1) the time resolution. In my nc file, the time resolution is hourly, but in the marshall video it’s minute by minute. 2) the horizontal spatial range of data is too small (about 0.02 latitude x 0.02 longitude), so that wind speed and direction do not change much in the whole range.
calmet_s01

1. the time resolution. In my nc file, the time resolution is hourly, but in the marshall video it’s minute by minute.

Yes - I believe you’re correct.

1. the horizontal spatial range of data is too small (about 0.02 latitude x 0.02 longitude)

I don’t think the temporal or spatial resolution matter so much as the gradient in the wind fields. Here’s an example from daily data on sub-degree grid spacing. I definitely helps with the effect that the winds were tearing through the front range during the Marshall fire.