How to plot Volume render with the model topography at the base

Dear Colleges,

I am a new Vapor user. In my 3D cube I want to show:

1. the WRF model topography at the bottom, but with 3D appearance (I have mountain ranges in my simulation domain)
  2. plot wind barbs
  3. plot QCLOUD variable colored by temperature (to see the vertical extension of the supercooled liquid clouds)
  4. finally, make animation for 7 hour time period based on my wrfout files available every 10 min

I would much appreciate your help and suggestions!

Kind regards,
Artur

Hi Artur, the best place to start is with our documentation. You can find written descriptions of what you need to do, as well as videos showing how to accomplish your goals as follows:

1. This is done with the Image Renderer
  2. Se the Barb Renderer
  3. This is done with the Volume Renderer. Note that you can use a secondary color mapped variable, which is selected in the ‘Variables’ tab, and enabled in the ‘Appearance’ tab.
  4. After your data is loaded, you can click Capture->Capture Image sequence. From that point, each rendered frame in Vapor will be saved as a numbered screenshot. From there, press the play button at the top of the window and Vapor will capture your time series. You will need to convert your frames to video using third-party software.

Hope that helps.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply! I will look each step in the documentation.
Also, can you suggest me how to export my animation and in what format it will be exported?

Kind regards,
Artur

Sorry for the late response.

To produce an animation, you need to capture each frame of your time series. Then you will need to use another application to convert the frames into an mpeg, or similar format.

To capture your timer series, follow this procedure.

After your data is loaded, you can click Capture->Capture Image sequence. From that point, each rendered frame in Vapor will be saved as a numbered screenshot. From there, press the play button at the top of the window and Vapor will capture your time series. You will need to convert your frames to video using third-party software.

If you need help converting your frames into a video, let me know. I typically use the “ffmpeg” or “imagemagick” programs, but there are many ways to do this and I can help you navigate if needed.