Issues with particle renderer: Enlarge size of particles and avoid "jumping" domain

Hi all,

first of all, thanks to the developer-team, great to see that now particles can be directly illustrated by vapor.
However, i faced two issues with that feature. First i wonder if there is a possibility to enlarge particles in vapor. For my purpose, the default size of the particles is too small. Not sure if this issue is already addressed on github with issue #3009. Second, i experience a “jumping” model domain, from one time-step to another. This can be also observed for the example particle data or on the video of new vapor features 3.5 on youtube.
Furthermore, in my opinion it would be great if the time dimension for DCP could also have the name “time”, than i could directly import my data into vapor, but converting is also not that big deal :wink:

Cheers,
Johannes

Hi Johannes,

Thank you for your input.

Unfortunately, particles cannot currently be enlarged. This is on our todo list. As a temporary workaround, you can lower the render resolution with Scene → Viewpoint → Framebuffer Settings which will increase the particle size.

The domain displays the bounds of the data. If your particles are moving, the domain of your data will likely change. There are two workarounds:

1. You can hide the data bounds with Scene → Annotation → 3D Geometry
  2. You can add a dummy scalar volume that encapsulates the volume you want.

The time dimension can have the name “time”. If you set the NetCDF attribute “axis” of the “time” variable to “t”, DCP will detect it as the time variable. Have you tried importing your data directly? It may even work as is.

Hi Stas,

Thank you for your reply. Great to hear that the issue of enlarging particles is already on your todo list. Also thanks for the wokraround. However, for my case it does not work properly, as the physical space is to large and i like high resolution. I guess if this feature is implemented i found this on the release notes? Or is there any other way to stay informed?

As I have an underlying LES i already have my correct volume. Thus, your second suggestion concerning the domain worked perfectly for me.

Many thanks for your help,
Johannes