Seed points for Flow line renderer

I have a clarification regarding the plotting of streamlines.
In the flow renderer, is it possible to manually set seed points using the GUI instead of the other options available (gridded seeds, bias seeds, or list of seeds file) ?
For reference, I am looking to plot streamlines of velocity and magnetic field of a data with dimensions of 1200x1200x400. I need to identify locations of regions where there is Vorticity or a Swirl in the vector fields.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @arjun0103 , I think the reason we don’t have a manual selection feature in the GUI is that how can you map a GUI input in 2D to a volumetric data in 3D? We would like your suggestion on how to achieve it, but in the meantime, using a list of seeds is the best bet to specify random seed locations.

Isn’t is possible to input a CSV file with a list of point coordinates?

Hmm, now that you mention it I didn’t quite think about this issue. However, the reason I asked was that a senior of mine told me that this feature did exist in an older version of VAPOR (2.6), which she had used during her PhD/Postdoc (around 2018 or 2019, I think). She explained how by moving the cursor around, seed points could be placed at locations by visually identifying a quantity (say Vorticity) and playing around in that specific region. List of seeds does seem like the most viable option, but I have been having some visualization issues with that, as I end up placing too many seed points. The reason this is troublesome is that my data is too big and there is quite a bit of turbulence in the velocity vectors.
Would it be possible to get hold of the older versions (the ones below 3 which aren’t available in the Github repository) ? Also please do correct me if this feature was actually present in the earlier version or not. Thanks!

Yes, true, but I just thought it would be more convenient to manually place them via the GUI, at least in my case. Although for now list of seeds does seem like the best option

A 3D cursor might make a useful addition to VAPOR GUI. In addition to specifying locations for things like seed points, it could also be used to query data values at arbitrary locations. I’ve created a feature request on the VAPOR repo to add this capability.

1 Like

You can find 2.6 installers at the link below. Let us know if they still work, it’s been a long time.

1 Like

PS - you can find links to documentation, source code, and installers below:

https://ncar.github.io/VaporDocumentationWebsite/downloads/vapor2.html

1 Like