Ssl error, isosurface and volume rendering never finishes

Hello,

I installed Centos 7 from scratch to my workstation that has 128 Gb of RAM and 6 cpus with 24 cores each. uname -a gives:

“Linux localhost.localdomain 3.10.0-1160.45.1.el7.x86_64”

All system software was updated. I then brought the latest (today, 11/11/21) “VAPOR3-3.5.0-Centos7-Weekly.sh” and extracted the files. When I launch vapor, I am also experiencing ssl error as with other folks mentioned at vapor forum, as well as by others on the Internet via different software:

qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_init_ssl
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_init_crypto
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve ASN1_STRING_get0_data
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve EVP_CIPHER_CTX_reset
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve RSA_bits
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_sk_new_null
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_sk_push
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_sk_free
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_sk_num
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_sk_pop_free
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_sk_value
I need to mention that vapor doesn’t crash but gives ssl error. Apparently, this ssl problem is seen when vapor and other software is launched. I searched the solutions online but couldn’t apply a suitable one to my problem. When I checked the vapor forum, a solution was offered by one of the vapor users, stating that he resolved the same ssl problem when he installed python:
---------------- begin cut-and-paste ---------------------

(Profile - pearse - Vapor)

No problem. I see a few python flags in that configuration file and I think this could be the issue.
Could you try the following and then reloading Vapor? Thanks for your patience.

module unload vapor
module unload ncarenv
module load vapor
vapor /glade/scratch/prein/tmp/VAPOR/4km/wrfout_d01_2012-05-31_00\:*

(Profile - AndreasPrein - Vapor)

These commands did not solve the issue but sourcing my own Python build instead of using the >>default build fixed it.
------------------- end of cut-and-paste --------------------------

Since the error states that qt.network cannot resolve openssl, then I updated qt.x86_64 and also installed qt.i686. Subsequently, I installed ssl and python by following this link:

I put the path for ssl and python to the system PATH

export PATH=“/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/python-3.9.8/bin:/usr/local/custom-openssl/bin:$PATH”

and put VAPOR-Deps to /usr/local and defined library path:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/VAPOR-Deps:/usr/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

But the ssl problem persists. Was what I did the right action to resolve the problem? What or what else should do?

As far as the functionality of vapor is concerned, I use duku test WRF output data prepared for 2007-04-01, select temperature, T. Among all functions available, all functions work fine, except volume rendering and isosurface functions, which do not complete their functionality and goes into waiting mode with “load coordinate data 75%” message. Although I wait for 10 minutes to complete their functionality, data load never finishes and no additional error messages pop up. I use bash environment and ulimit is unlimited. Since I have 128 Gb or RAM, I don’t think it is the memory issue. If there is a memory setup/allocation of VAPOR that lets me know how much memory that function draws and allows me to allocate more memory, please let us know. Since VAPOR gives ssl error, I thought that I should first eliminate that error before I look into the functionality of VAPOR.

Thanks for your help.

Kemal.

Hi Kemal,

Don’t try to resolve the SSL errors on Vapor’s binary installations. That’s a lost cause unless you’re building from source.

Are you seeing this error from our official release build (not weekly)? Your system sounds like it’s very capable, but I have to ask what graphics card it’s using, and are its drivers are up to date?

Hello Pearse,

Thank you for your reply. I tried both official and weekly releases of VAPOR3-3.5.0-Centos7 and the results are the same. Only reason that I mentioned the weekly release is that I thought there might be an improvement on the weekly release on the top of the official release.

Based on your response, I will assume that ssl has no (important) role on the functionality of VAPOR. So, I won’t worry about that anymore.

Hardware characteristics of the graphics card is:

description: VGA compatible controller
   product: GM107GL [Quadro K2200]
   vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
   physical id: 0
   bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
   version: a2
   width: 64 bits
   clock: 33MHz
   capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
   configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0

Further information on the graphics card is:

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: nouveau (0x10de)
Device: NV117 (0x13ba)
Version: 18.3.4
Accelerated: yes
Video memory: 4068MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 4.3
Max compat profile version: 4.3
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1

I don’t know much about graphics card but I think 4Gb of GPU RAM should be sufficient. Please let me know if I should chance the default nouveau driver to NVIDIA driver. (I had tested this option with the previous version of VAPOR and had not gotten any improvement on volume rendering and isosurface several months ago. Since then I had to reinstall Centos 7 and those upgrades are gone.)

If all else fails, I will go into installing VAPOR from source code. I started this but software dependencies take a long time to install. If you think this should be the avenue that I should take, let me know please.

Thank you for your help Pearse. With regards,

Kemal.

Hello again,

I forgot to add the opengl information, which is:

OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: NV117
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.3.4
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 18.3.4
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

Although there is a newer version of Mesa library, the current version 18.3.4 that is available on Centos repository seems to work just fine. However, I had run into opengl problem with previous versions of VAPOR before. I can download new NVIDIA driver and install the latest mesa 9.0.0 version of OpenGL to my workstation, but pointing VAPOR to the new opengl library is quite challenging.

Kemal.

Hi Kemal, if you haven’t already, could you first try undoing the environment variables you set regarding Python and LD_LIBARARY_PATH? The SSL stuff has been annoying but benign from what I’ve seen so far.

I think the problem must lie with the nouveau driver. My test machine uses NVidia’s driver and we always use the proprietary drivers when possible.

Could you try installing the official NVidia driver?

https://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics