.069500 files to vdc

Hello,

I have several large data sets which i would like to convert to vdc for visualization. Each one of them is around 2GB. But the problem is I don’t seem to identify the file type. It’s extension is .069500

After doing some research I came to know its a type of spreadsheet file for Apple system. I didn’t find any direct link to convert it to vdc format in the current documentation section. So I was planning to convert it to csv format then to netcdf-cf and then to vdc. which seems to be tedious as i’m only getting used to doing these processes.

Also I didn’t quite catch the guide to convert to vdc. The commands given for each data type, is it like we have to run those in our cmd? How do i use those files mentioned in the documentation (like for eg: wrfvdccreate) to create .vdc metadata file ? When I clicked on those files in the localdisk: C VAPOR folder nothing happened.

The link to files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1H6-ZStN_JJG9YmG8-9WEiyv2CdewipM4?usp=share_link

Your help is deeply appreciated!!

Hi, what is the size of your grid (X,Y,Z) and what is its structure (Regular, rectilinear, curvilinear)?

Hi, It is (1200,1200,400). It specifies the value of certain parameters like velocity, pressure, temp etc of a selected section of solar photosphere. Each file has info about one such parameter. It is regular ig

Ok. You’re correct that you’ll need to convert these database files. NetCDF is one option like you mentioned, and another is raw-binary. I’m not familiar with this file format so it’s hard to say which one is easier. If you’re familiar with writing binary values (not ascii) to files, raw-binary will be easier. Here is a thread discussing how to do it in Python. But if you’re more comfortable with csv and NetCDF, that might be the path of least resistance. Let me know which approach you prefer and we can go from there.

PS - What are the exact variables contained in the file, and how many timesteps does it contain?

Hi pearse!

So just now I came to know it’s binary file and the numbers given as extension was just no. of iterations.

So I tried changing them to vdc with the raw2vdc documentation. I don’t know if its raw binary file or formatted.

I created a vdc file

vdccreate -dimension 1200x1200x400 -vars3d vx:vy:vz myVDCFile.vdc

but when i tried writing it, it’s taking too long. Obv. i did something wrong.

So, these are the details of the files I have:

1. I have a total of 8 files
  2. Each file has data of a single variable. Eg: the file named ‘result_prim_1’ has the value of the variable vx(x-component of velocity) for each grid point (i,j,k) where there are 1200x1200x400 grid points in total for all files.
  3. So I need to visualize the velocity vector (vx,vy,vz). But these are in 3 different files namely ‘result_prim_1’, ‘result_prim_2’ and ‘result_prim_3’

Now when I’m writing the vdc file this is the command I gave

raw2vdc -varname vx myVDCFile.vdc result_prim_1.069500

And it created 4 vdc files(idk why 4?) and takes long time to finish

Hi pearse!

I was finally able to convert them to vdc. Even though it took some time it actually worked. I was also able to visualize it in vapor. Thank you so much for your assistance!!

1 Like