3D Scaling (Volume Rendering) Issue Along the Z-axis

Hello,

I’m new to VAPOR and I’d like to plot any 3D variable using the ‘Volume’ renderer. The problem is, when I try to display any valid 3d field, the Z-axis looks like it propagates infinitely in the + Z axis (so it appears). That said, how may I display the Z axis so that the data is appropriately scaled?

I attached an image of the problem.

Thanks in advance!

It looks like the Z axis is getting scaled too much. What is the value of the Z axis scale in the Scene->Viewpoint tab?

When the Z axis is small compared to X and Y, we automatically scale it with this setting. However this is way over exaggerated.

Hello pearse,

That was, in fact, the problem.

I set Z equal to 12 (from 12000) and the plot looks good.

Thanks for your help!

Great. I’m guessing that you didn’t enter 12000 yourself and this was Vapor’s default value based on your dataset.

This isn’t an ideal behavior and I think we may have a bug. Do you have a sample file I could look at to test the underlying cause?

Of course! Would you like my WRF.nc file? I’m not sure how to upload it.

The value, 12000+, was set by default. It was unexpected. I think (not entirely certain) the problem may be caused by adding AFWA diagnostics (just a wild guess). I’m using the latest version of VAPOR (3.5.0 - Windows OS 64 bit).

Yes, it would be useful to check it out. Thank you.

For hosting the file, something like google drive would work. Not sure how big your file is though…