How to get a sub-domain of WRF model output

We usually use a large WRF domain to get reasonable results. If import WRF output directly, the whole WRF domain is displayed. However, we just focus on a sub-domain, where convective cell(s) is located. My question is how can I get a sub-domain from the WRF output.
Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Subsetting the region can be done in each renderer’s Geometry tab. This has to be done on a per-renderer basis though.

I should make a dedicated video for this, but you can see a demo of the Geometry tab at the timestamped video below.

Let me know if that’s unclear.

Thanks,
Scott

Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for your rapid reply. I can not reach the youtube website. It would be greatly appreciated if you could send me a copy of the demo by e-mail or another way.

Best regards

Jerf

I’m uploading a new video just for the geometry tab right now, but I can email it to you. Feel free to post it here or mail me directly at pearse@ucar.edu and we can be in touch if there’s anything more to elaborate.

Dear Pearse,
Please email the video to me at yinjinfang88@163.com. Thank in advance.

Jerf

I’m emailing it now through gmail, but it’s being uploaded to google drive. I’m guessing that you can’t view YouTube videos. Let me know if you can’t access google drive as well.

Dear Pearse,

Thanks for your immediate reply. Yes. I cann’t access google drive. It would be greatly appreciated if you could spend some time to share the videos in the zenodo platform (https://zenodo.org/).

Best regards

Jerf Yin

I’m working on getting it up on Zenodo. Currently I don’t seem to have permission but I think this can be fixed. Stay tuned.

@jerf, I’m currently unable to upload to zenodo. I’ll keep looking into this, but in the meantime, I asked a colleague who has gotten around firewall issues in the past. Here’s what he suggests:

I used to use Mullvad VPN (Mullvad VPN - Privacy is a universal right) when I was in China, and it works reasonably well most of the time, so you can recommend this product to her. Another thing was that I can get a much faster and more reliable connection to firewalled content in the early morning (think 5-7am), so that can be an option too. I’d think combining these two approaches can get any youtube videos they’d like :wink:

Hi Pearse,

Thanks a lot for the help of your and your team. I obtained the video and can get a reasonable sub-domain now. A few more questions may draw your attention to.
(1) The labels of Z Axis are “noisy” (Figure 1). How to get tidy labels, such as 0.0, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 km, … The same issue occurs to color bar label.

(2) If a sub-domain is selected, there are gaps between the selected domain and the Axis box.

Thank you again

Jerf

(1) The labels of Z Axis are “noisy” (Figure 1). How to get tidy labels, such as 0.0, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 km, … The same issue occurs to color bar label.

I’m not sure what you mean by “noisy”. If you’re referring to the precision of the labels, there’s a controller in the Annotation tab called “Digits” that allows you set the number of decimal places. If you want the X axis to go from 0 to 4 in increments of 1 km, set the X “Min” annotation value to 0, X “Max” to 4, and the “# tics” parameter 5.

(2) If a sub-domain is selected, there are gaps between the selected domain and the Axis box.

Under the “Axis Annotations” section, there’s an option to “Copy region from renderer”. If you select your volume, the annotations will snap to that sub-domain.

Thanks Pearse. Got it.

Thanks Pearse. Got it.

I hope I’m not skirting the issue. The noise in the annotations could be due to our lack of antialiasing. I’m just not sure what the noise is in this context.

This is a useful question for my team because we need to guide users who can’t access our youtube content, due to firewalls. Thank you for your question, and bringing attention to one of the issues with accessing our educational content.