Getting the installed executable working

I installed VAPOR-3.3.0 using “/bin/sh VAPOR3-3.3.0-CentOS7.sh” on a machine with the following properties:

“uname-a” gives → Linux n51 3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 25 17:23:54 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

When I launch VAPOR using “bin/vapor”, the program is launched but it is not functional (no response to clicking on any other tabs).

Secondly, when I try to create a sample .vdc file using the command

“./bin/vdccreate wrfout_d02_sample.nc test_wrf.vdc”
or, even,
./bin/vdccreate -vars3d U:V:W wrfout_d02_sample.nc test_wrf.vdc

the output is:

“Usage: vdccreate [options] master.vdc” (and the list of options).

Could this be due to some kind of conflict with the system/installed libraries? In general, if there was, the program could have quit with some kind of error. Just to help in diagnosing the problem, I invoked:

./bin/vaporpychecker

and the result is:

Could not find platform independent libraries
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to [:<exec_prefix>]
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘encodings’

Could you help me to identify the issue? Thanks.

Hi kgurer. Yes, Vapor is “not functional” until you import data to work with as there is nothing you can do with the program until you have data to act upon. After you launch Vapor, click on File in the menu bar and either open a VDC dataset or import one under Import. Alternatively, you can run vapor and pass in the dataset in the command line.

vdccreate is used to create new datasets from scratch. You seem to be trying to convert a WRF dataset to VDC for which you need to use wrfvdccreate and wrf2vdc.